Sunday, May 18, 2014

New Work

This past week I decided to take a tiny break from working on my bench. It's been quite therapeutic and well needed. You see, I usually work every day in my studio. I hardly ever take a day off. This is my baby, and given the ridiculous work ethic I have, I realized that I need to take a breather now and then to remain healthy. When I decided to be self employed I knew that I needed to work as hard as I could to maintain staying afloat financially. I don't have the luxury of hiring a PR firm yet to represent my work.
It's been quite a journey. I often wonder, in order to "make" it in the jewelry industry, if it's more essential and fruitful to have a collection, instead of one-of-a-kind items. I am torn. I love making unique items, but realize that in order to get into more shops I need to have a collection. As a full time artist I can not allow myself to spread myself too thin. The other option is to perhaps get a part time job, which means to have less time building up my business. I remember how hard it used to be to come home from a physically demanding job and to continue working on my dream to be a full time jewelry artist. What I have learned from quitting my day job is that it requires a steady determined and passioned work ethic. I get up at the same time every morning (6:30), go for a power walk or run, eat breakfast, answer e-mails, package orders and then work in my studio. You can usually find me there until 6pm, sometimes I work a bit longer if I have a great flow going.
I'm lucky as I get a lot of support from J. He knows how much this business means to me. I still could  not tell you the great secret to a successful business. I guess everyone encapsulates success differently. For me it is setting a goal and achieving it, aim and purpose, so to speak. There is a happy medium where success lies for me. I still have a long ways to go.

With this said, here are some of my new items I created this past week:


















Happy sunday everybody!! I will be enjoying a bit of sun in the back yard!

xx Sabine



No comments:

Post a Comment