Sunday, May 11, 2014

A little trip

I feel lucky to be able to take a trip once in a while across the boarder to France, to Strasbourg, to be more precise. It's just a mere 20 minute drive from where we live.
When we go, we usually park close to the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Strasbourg, which allows us to get easily to all the little boutiques and pastry shops. This place is buzzing with people from all over the world.

At 142 metres (466 feet), it was the worlds tallest building from 1647 to 1874 (227 years). Today it is the sixth-tallest church in the world and the highest still-standing structure built entirely in the Middle Ages. It was completed in 1439 ( according to Wikipedia ).
It almost takes your breath away when you first get a glance of it. It's so massive! 






The detail is unbelievable! Hard to imagine how this treasure came about!



The church is surrounded by tons of small little shops, mainly aimed at tourists. France is quite a bit more expensive than Germany.
I could indulge for hours at all the pastry shops that are located nearby:


I took home one these massive almond meringues. I am still nibbling on them!



Having been a pastry chef myself I really do appreciate the art of a beautiful piece of pastry. I have been to many places, but the French take the lead in bread and pastries in my point of view.



 Hard to choose what to have when everything looks so delicious!






On this thought, I will have to end this posting. Dinner is calling! I guess it doesn't help to look at food pictures and not get hungry! 


Wishing all you wonderful mothers out there a Happy Mothers Day!!

xx 






No comments:

Post a Comment